Home | About Morgan | News & Media | Email Updates | The Ledger | Contact
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
This week we reached House policy cutoff. What this means is Friday, Feb. 17 is/was the final day for committees to consider bills introduced in the House. We will now shift our focus to final action on bills already approved by committee.
Here are some highlights from Week 6:
I was proud to co-sponsor a bill introduced by Rep. Matt Manweller, R-Ellensburg, and House Republicans, to prohibit a state income tax. House Joint Resolution 4207 would amend the state Constitution to ensure our hardworking citizens don't pay taxes on their income. This means there would never be a state income tax in Washington state's future. There are many reasons this is important:
- Washington state voters have rejected an income tax NINE times. We need to support and listen to you – no state income tax.
- Amending the constitution alleviates the threat and need to tax income when looking for alternative funding sources in the state budget. Your hard-earned money shouldn't be taxed when state government has more budget than dollars.
- This ensures the Supreme Court cannot overrule what the voters want and potentially weigh-in on the importance of implementing a state income tax. We need to protect and provide peace of mind to you – the taxpayer.
- Washington state is one of nine states without an income tax. This promotes our state as a great place to do business. It gives us a clear competitive advantage.
I will keep you updated on the progress of this bill.
In other news, I am disappointed to announce by back-to-school sales tax holiday bill didn't see the light of day in the House Finance Committee. I will continue to work hard to bring this legislation forward. This is an important tax relief program. Washington state needs to take the lead on the west coast and join the other 17 states that offer these money-saving benefits to their taxpayers. For more information on the importance of this 'holiday,' read my opinion-editorial piece here.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
I have a few events coming up that I would love you to attend!
March 10-12: Please join me in Edgewood, Bonney Lake and Enumclaw for town hall weekend. This is your opportunity to chat about the concerns and questions you have, directly with me. I look forward to this time with you. Please keep an eye out in future updates for the location and times for these events.
March 16: Join me from the comfort of your home for a community conversation and evening telephone town hall. This is similar to a call-in radio program. I will take your questions and provide my perspective on your concerns and issues on the 2017 legislative session. When: Thurs. March 16. Time: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. To participate: Simply call (253) 258-3247 beginning at 6:00 p.m. You can simply call and listen in. Or, if you would like to ask a question, press the star (*) key on your telephone keypad and connect with me to ask your question. This is another great opportunity for direct connection with me.
I will also be speaking at various City Hall meetings throughout the district. The dates and times will be announced in next week's legislative update.
If there are any events you would like me to attend, please contact my office. I am your voice in Olympia and want to hear from you..
430 John L. O'Brien Building | P.O. Box 40600 | Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7866 | Toll-free: (800) 562-6000